Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the direct supervision of the Sr. Web Developer and overall supervision of the Head of MCD´s Online Communications Unit the successful candidate will be responsible to work in on the development to upgrade and ensure the technical maintenance of IOM websites according to needs.
- Autonomously develop high-quality code based on Drupal Best Practices;
- Collaborate with project managers, designers, front-end developer, and other Drupal developers, to deliver Drupal solutions.
- Write and keep up-to-date comprehensive documentation of Drupal platforms;
- Ensure that the platform is always running the latest secure code and custom code is thoroughly security tested;
- Stay up-to-date with the latest best practices in the field of Drupal Development;
- Ensure that the agreed deliverables with the assigned project or projects are timely delivered.
- Contribute to design and code walk-through for review and incorporate feedback into design and code artefacts, addressing issues and bugs as adequate.
- Under the supervision of MCD´s OCU NOC senior developer/technical lead, progressively boost the capacities to assume more responsibilities as a member of the team.
- Develop using Object Oriented design principles and software design patterns to attain high sustainability, reusability and maintainability.
- Other development related tasks as required.
- University degree in Computer Science or a related field from an accredited academic institution with four years of relevant experience; or,
- Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution, with six years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in Drupal development (at least two years) and 7 years of professional experience in web development and/or related field.
- Ability to integrate large scale systems or third party-products;
- A track record of delivering high-quality, Drupal-based solutions in a timely and effective manner;
- In-depth knowledge of best practices in Drupal development and delivery, web front-end and back-end development tools and techniques and software security.
For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is desirable.
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
- Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
- Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
- Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
- Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
- Listens and seeks to understand without bias, and responds appropriately.
- Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
- Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
- Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
- Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
- Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
- Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
- Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
- Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
- Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
- Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
- Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
Interested applicants may send their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 01 January 2023. VN Number and Position Title (VN 103/2022 – Web Developer) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
IOM welcomes applicants from qualified individuals, irrespective of their race, religion, skin, color, nationality, age, disability status, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family structure, mental health status, or any other characteristic.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and an offer will be made following the confirmation of funding.