Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall guidance of the Head, Project Monitoring Unit (PMU) and the direct supervision of the Project Monitoring Unit Supervisor, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing support to globally implemented programmes assigned to PMU, in the areas of travel loans validation and invoicing, receivables monitoring, financial monitoring, budgeting, and administrative support functions related to the global programmes monitored by the Project Monitoring Unit.
Travel Loans Validation
- Receive from IOM field offices (globally) the travel loan documents issued to refugees in the system application.
- Review, verify completeness, and monitor the timely receipt/upload of all travel loan documents.
- Review and validate the information in the travel loan documents including refugee data, departure date, departure country, and costs against the system inputs.
- Coordinate with the operational units of the relevant IOM field offices for any issues noted to ensure correctness and completeness of information in the travel loan documents.
- Monitor and validate amendments to travel loan documents and ensure that required actions are done timely.
Travel Loans Invoicing
- Generate invoices and delivery receipts through the system application.
- Review the invoices and delivery receipts against the validated travel loan documents, ensuring integrity of the amounts, information, and file attachments for the cases.
- Prepare debit and credit memos for any other cost adjustments on reimbursable expenses.
- Prepare manual invoices in cases necessary.
- Prepare revenue upload files and post revenue entries in SAP after distribution of invoices.
- Monitor receivable status and clear receivables in SAP whenever payment is received.
- Follow-up of outstanding receivables to the donor.
- Prepare and update monthly monitoring of revenue recorded in the system versus actual movements and reconciliation to departed movements listing reports.
- Monitor loan amounts in excess of loan cap set by the donor.
- Assist in the preparation of the quarterly financial analysis, statistics and management reports.
- Assist in the review, monitoring, and follow-up of budget submissions.
- Assist in the upload of budget submissions into the system.
Other administrative tasks
- Management of relevant files in the programme’s share point.
- Assist in the review and clean-up of outstanding commitments (purchase requests and purchase orders).
- Assist in the project revision workflow in the system, due to but not limited to budget updates and additional WBS needed.
- Assist in the creation or set-up of yearly project accounts in the system.
- Assist in corroborating information for loan reconciliation activities.
- Participate in any systems/applications user testing.
- Coordinate with support colleagues for resolution of technical issues and process enhancements.
- Provide necessary guidance and assistance to IOM field offices on the programme’s procedures and on queries pertaining to the travel loan documents validation/invoicing and accounting process.
- Update the Work Instruction Manual (WIM) for all process being handled.
- Other financial and administrative support duties related to the role of the Project Monitoring Unit.
- University degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Commerce, Finance or related field from an accredited academic institution, with two years of relevant professional experience in the field of accounting, finance, budgeting or management reporting;
- Preferably a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or equivalent.
- Experience in audit is an advantage
- Sound knowledge of accounting systems and/or SAP plus generally accepted accounting principles, internal controls and audit/review procedures;
- Ability to write narrative reports and variance analysis reports, draft correspondence and communicate effectively in English;
- Computer literacy including proficiency in MS Office applications;
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks under time constraints.
For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is desirable.
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
- Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
- Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
- Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
- Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
- Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
- Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
Interested applicants may send their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 23 March 2023. VN Number and Position Title (VN 100/2022 – Finance and Administrative Assistant) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
IOM welcomes applicants from qualified individuals, irrespective of their race, religion, skin, color, nationality, age, disability status, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family structure, mental health status, or any other characteristic.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and an offer will be made following the confirmation of funding.