Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall guidance of the Director of the Migration Health Division, the various units of the Health Assessment Programme Global Support Unit provide services to all missions and medical field operations worldwide. The Migration Health Informatics (MHI) unit is responsible for operational medical software applications, data repositories and statistical reporting.
Under the direct supervision of the Migration Health Informatics (MHI) Manager and in close coordination with the Senior MHI Officer & Senior Health Systems Analyst, the successful candidate is responsible for process and systems analysis, requirements gathering and verification, testing and training for IOM medical systems, and ensuring fulfilment of business requirements of IOM migrant health operations both in the field missions and at Headquarters.
- Participate in the design of relevant functionalities and information systems that support medical operations including Mimosa, UKTB, LIMS, IMS, ICD, HAP portal, HAPSTAT validation and any new migration health informatics initiatives.
- Provide inputs to improve medical business process, value added reports and data quality. Monitor and report on recurrent user support issues and learning gaps.
- Verify documented business requirements, analyze medical business process and suggest new functionalities and enhancements to existing and new medical software.
- Assist in the coordination of updating or designing new medical forms as needed to support medical operations, through close liaison with health managers, medical staff and technical team; maintain the repository of medical forms and their unique form numbers.
- In collaboration with Health Data Analyst, review and recommend system rules used in data validation reports for checking the quality of data entered in the medical systems in accordance with relevant technical instructions.
- Support the implementation of medical (ICD) coding system and other health informatics initiatives.
- Assist technical teams during solution development of MHD applications such as IMS, ICD, HAP Portal, GIRS and any new initiatives, including business analysis, quality assurance or testing, technical writing or documentation and training.
- Draft and maintain project and change management documents of MHD systems including process flows, standard operating procedures, user guides and learning materials.
- Participate in the preparation and implementation of new system releases and change management activities to deploy enhancements or modifications to existing systems.
- Troubleshoot end-user issues and resolve assigned user support tickets, as necessary.
- In collaboration with MHI Manager and MHI Officer, mentor and coach MHI Team Assistants, interns or on-the-job trainees as assigned.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Master's degree in medical field, public health, health sciences or information systems from an accredited academic institution; or,
- Bachelor’s degree in the above fields with minimum two (2) years of relevant professional experience, of which at least one (1) year in medical business process management, medical software implementation and management, including troubleshooting and aligning policies and processes with software functionalities.
- Training on medical informatics, ICD coding and panel physician instructions will be an advantage.
- Candidates with medical or health background will have a distinct advantage.
- Extensive knowledge on migrant health and IOM medical operation of advantage.
- Actual experience in designing and managing electronic medical records.
- Understanding of medical, public health and statistical terminology as well as IT disciplines and ability to correctly bridge health and information technology to address changing information management needs of medical units.
- Strong analytical skills required, including a thorough understanding of how to interpret medical information management needs and translate them into application/operational requirements.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group.
- Skills in conducting end user training
For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is desirable.
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Demonstrates individual responsibility for defining and delivering on the Organization’s priorities.
- Delegates authority to match responsibilities, and holds staff accountable for agreed-upon commitments.
- Consistently assumes responsibility for Divisional or Departmental actions by explaining successes, failures, and proposing remedial actions.
- Invests significant time in creating a culture of accountability and responsibility by using experience and advice to guide others.
- Clearly and simply communicates the IOM mandate and seeks opportunities to represent the organization externally to promote its mandate.
- Communicates confidently, commands attention and respect when speaking, and projects credibility.
- Influences others and negotiates effectively through a persuasive, flexible approach.
- Keeps staff informed of decisions and directives of senior management and communicates them in a manner that ensures understanding and acceptance.
- Promotes the development and use of organization-wide knowledge sharing systems that capture all relevant information from sources inside and outside of the Organization.
- Leads in defining and prioritizing the Organization’s knowledge needs.
- Establishes and fosters a culture that encourages change, innovation and continuous learning.
- Encourages and supports others to be innovative and actively generates new perspectives on own and team’s work.
- Advocates for collaboration across the Organization and creates collaborative systems and integrated processes to achieve Organizational goals.
- Builds consensus for task purpose and direction with colleagues at all levels.
- Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of partnerships and takes action to enhance their effectiveness.
- Identifies and breaks down barriers to cooperation within teams, and between teams, units, sections, divisions, and organizations.
- Challenges self and team to deliver high quality results, in line with Organizational goals.
- Leads and facilitates work planning, alerting those involved of potential obstacles and helping to identify suitable alternative options as needed.
- Persuades management to undertake new projects and services that benefit internal and external clients; uses performance standards to monitor projects.
- Tailors organizational targets to meet changing demands in the external environment.
Interested applicants may send their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 02 June 2023. VN Number and Position Title (VN 091-094/2023 – Health Systems Analyst) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
Applications must consist of a cover letter, a duly-accomplished IOM Personal History Form, and a résumé highlighting education and experience relative to the above qualifications.
IOM welcomes applicants from qualified individuals, irrespective of their race, religion, skin, color, nationality, age, disability status, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family structure, mental health status, or any other characteristic.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Kindly note that this position is subject to funding availability.