Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the direct supervision of the PMU Supervisor, the Programme Finance Assistant will be providing finance and administrative support to the Project Monitoring Unit. He/she will be given financial planning, monitoring, analysis, and reporting tasks, statistical reporting, and administrative support functions related to the global programmes monitored by the Project Monitoring Unit.
FINANCIAL MONITORING AND REPORTING
- Generate financial and statistics reports.
- Prepare quarterly and annual expense reports in the donor required format.
- Assist in the analysis of actual expense versus approved budget.
- Prepare the reconciliation of quarterly expenditure report against accounting system balance for interest computation.
- Review monthly project expense as well as revenue transactions, to ensure correct account codes and project codes used, and monitor expenses against approved budget.
- Assist in the staff cost (projectization) monitoring and other staffing review.
- Review and clean-up of long outstanding commitments.
- Communicate with IOM field offices, MAC and HQ regarding budgetary and expense issues. Monitor office response and continuously follow-up unresolved issues.
ANNUAL AND MID-YEAR BUDGET PREPARATION
- Review and analyze budget requests submitted by IOM field offices, highlighting major changes compared to previous year’s budget and previous year’s actual expenses.
- Assist in the preparation of the budget package for submission to donor.
- Prepare supporting schedules, analysis, and review materials for management and HQ
- Review revised budget submitted by IOM field offices and assist in the preparation of consolidated budget.
- Assist in the upload of budgets into the system.
- Prepare year-end schedules and reporting requirements for submission to HQ.
- Update the work instructions manual relevant to the tasks assigned, subject to review of supervisor.
- Provide assistance to staff assigned to other global projects managed by the unit.
- Create new project codes in the system.
- Review and summarize all issues encountered in creating new project codes in the system and relay to supervisor.
- Provide general administrative support related to the preparation of budget and donor reporting packages, and ensuring timely dispatch of reports to HQ units, project managers, and the donor.
- Perform other related tasks as may be assigned.
- University degree in Accounting from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience in the field of accounting, financial analysis, budgeting, or auditing
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience
- Preferably a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or equivalent.
- Experience in audit an advantage
- Sound knowledge of SAP accounting systems, generally accepted accounting principles, and internal controls, an advantage
- Ability to write narrative reports and variance analysis reports, draft correspondence and communicate effectively in English
- Computer literacy including proficiency in MS Office applications
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks under time constraints.
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is desirable.
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
- Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
- Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
- Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
- Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
- Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
- Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a cover letter (not more than one page) and résumé highlighting the required education and experience or a duly completed IOM Personal History Form. To access the form, please visit https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/vacancy/MAC/iom-personal-history-form1.xlsx
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 30 November 2021. Reference code VN 052-053/2021 Programme Finance Assistant should be specified in the SUBJECT field.