Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Payroll Manager and the direct supervision of the National Payroll Officer, the successful candidate will act as a payroll specialist to support the unit in the timely and accurate processing of the payroll for locally recruited staff worldwide.
- Run the payroll for all locally recruited staff worldwide.
- Generate and provide relevant payroll reports to mission focal points after each run for their review, correction, and other relevant actions; and make sure all necessary actions are acted upon for the payroll run.
- Generate and verify the final payroll reports for approval and closing of the payroll period. Provide relevant reports to missions for file.
- Generate and review/reconcile the final accounting file.
- Ensure that separations are cleared and accountabilities are settled before release of the final payments.
- Check the accuracy and validity of input calculations/coding to ensure that such entries are in line with staff and financial rules and/or other administrative issuance.
- Verify and update salary scales, allowances and other payroll master data as well as banking details in the ERP payroll module.
- Maintain statistical reports and queries; check electronic data output and take corrective measures in case errors are identified. These involve payroll reports, earnings and deduction registers, pay slips, and payment details.
- Reconcile accounts monthly or periodically by monitoring and clearing open items related to staff members entitlements, follow up with the staff members to ensure prompt recovery of any amounts due to the organisations.
- Work closely with colleagues in the unit to promptly address queries, concerns, and issues related to staff salary.
- Run and verify reports, prepare calculations, make/amend data entries.
- Take action from planned, unexpected or exceptional changes in relevant policies which alter the usual business processes. Propose actions and changes to supervisor as required
- Help develop tools/matrix to automate and facilitate the work of the unit;
- Work closely with OSU and ITC on business requirements for system development or enhancement.
- Stay abreast of changes in human resources policies as they relate to benefits and allowances.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Completed university degree in Finance, Accounting or a related field from an accredited academic institution with 4 years of relevant work experience; or
- High-school diploma with 6 years of relevant work experience.
- Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) an advantage.
- Experience in direct payroll functions, preferably in a corporate payroll operation with knowledge of banking and accounting systems, generally accepted accounting principles, business risk controls;
- Experience with SAP HR and payroll system and applications, an advantage.
- Thorough working knowledge of payroll systems and procedures, salary calculations and accounting made through payroll systems;
- IT-ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) Functional Knowledge an advantage;
- High level of computer literacy.
For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is desirable.
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
- Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
- Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
- Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
- Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
- Listens and seeks to understand without bias, and responds appropriately.
- Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others' views and ideas and respects their contribution.
- Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
- Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
- Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
- Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
- Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
- Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
- Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
- Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
- Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
- Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
Interested applicants may send their applications to email@example.com no later than 22 March 2023. VN Number and Position Title (VN 046-053/2023 – Sr. Payroll Administrator) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
IOM welcomes applicants from qualified individuals, irrespective of their race, religion, skin, color, nationality, age, disability status, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family structure, mental health status, or any other characteristic.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Kindly note that this position is subject to funding availability.