Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
The position is based in Manila Administrative Centre (MAC), headed by the Director of MAC. Information and Communications Technology (ICT) is one of the divisions with its operations delocalized to MAC.
Under the overall supervision of the ICT Officer (Software Development) and direct supervision of the ICT Officer (Applications Development), and in close co-ordination with the Sr. ICT Officer (Project Management) and the ICT Officer (Solutions Architect), the ICT Officer (JAVA Applications Development) will be responsible for the coding of system components according to design specifications, corporate standards and best practices and solution design.
- Code system components according to design specifications, corporate standards and best practices and solution design.
- Assist in the development, using Object Oriented design principles and software design patterns, to attain high reusability and maintainability.
- Implement the detailed application design of the system provided by the application Architect.
- Adhere to the version control system, build and release processes and coding standards.
- Participate design and code walk-through for review and incorporate feedback into design and code artefacts.
- Work with team members to identify potential risks in application design and delivery.
- Perform unit and integration tests and resolve any resulting issues/bugs.
- Work with architect and develop business systems using the JAVA/ J2EE framework..
- Communicate project status, issues and risk factors to project team members.
- Provide tier 3 technical support of the application Portfolio, promptly within accepted timeframes to application’s user ensuring continued operation of the said applications.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Advanced degree in Computer Sciences, Information Technology or a related field from an accredited academic institution ; or
- University degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Professional certification in the area of study and practice above, or a Microsoft Certified professional developer is a distinct advantage.
- Sound and specialist knowledge of object-oriented architecture and design patterns for building highly scalable applications using Java, J2EE, Spring Suite, Struts 1.2 and above
- Demonstrates effective application of knowledge and f with SOAP and REST web services and integration, open API development, and SOA concepts and Solid understanding of the design patterns.
- Excellent knowledge and experience with Hibernate, Apache CXF for Soap.
- Experience with XSLT, XSD, XPATH, Messaging
- Experience in developing design artefacts based on UML notations and using standard tools;
- Proficient in the Agile SDLC development and sound knowledge in back, middle and front-end development;
- Possesses knowledge and understanding of XML documents, XSD schemas, XSLT to develop the necessary schemas and maps to represent the flow of the messages through the solution;
- Experience in implementing API security and access control (OAUTH, SSL)
- Experience in defining Microservices (service decomposition, choreography design, state persistence, interaction model, etc.) considering business, legal and compliance requirements
- Implementation and Development experience in Integration technologies and architectures (for e.g., Service Orchestration, Service Choreography, Event Driven Architecture, Messaging middleware, etc.)
- Possess a good understanding of relational database concepts.
- Possess a good understanding of SOAP/REST webservices and their payload schema.
- Experience in SVN and/or GIT, Exposure to CI/CD, DevOps and Azure services.
- Demonstrates an analytical and systematic approach to issue resolution.
- Demonstrates effective communication skills both oral and written.
- Possess client-side Web development skills (HTML, CSS, JQuery/AngularJS/ReactJS).
- Ability to work with cross cutting and diverse teams.
For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is desirable.
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Demonstrates individual responsibility for defining and delivering on the Organization’s priorities.
- Delegates authority to match responsibilities, and holds staff accountable for agreed-upon commitments.
- Consistently assumes responsibility for Divisional or Departmental actions by explaining successes, failures, and proposing remedial actions.
- Invests significant time in creating a culture of accountability and responsibility by using experience and advice to guide others.
- Clearly and simply communicates the IOM mandate and seeks opportunities to represent the organization externally to promote its mandate.
- Communicates confidently, commands attention and respect when speaking, and projects credibility.
- Influences others and negotiates effectively through a persuasive, flexible approach.
- Keeps staff informed of decisions and directives of senior management and communicates them in a manner that ensures understanding and acceptance.
- Promotes the development and use of organization-wide knowledge sharing systems that capture all relevant information from sources inside and outside of the Organization.
- Leads in defining and prioritizing the Organization’s knowledge needs.
- Establishes and fosters a culture that encourages change, innovation and continuous learning.
- Encourages and supports others to be innovative and actively generates new perspectives on own and team’s work.
- Advocates for collaboration across the Organization and creates collaborative systems and integrated processes to achieve Organizational goals.
- Builds consensus for task purpose and direction with colleagues at all levels.
- Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of partnerships and takes action to enhance their effectiveness.
- Identifies and breaks down barriers to cooperation within teams, and between teams, units, sections, divisions, and organizations.
- Challenges self and team to deliver high quality results, in line with Organizational goals.
- Leads and facilitates work planning, alerting those involved of potential obstacles and helping to identify suitable alternative options as needed.
- Persuades management to undertake new projects and services that benefit internal and external clients; uses performance standards to monitor projects.
- Tailors organizational targets to meet changing demands in the external environment.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 20 November 2022. Reference code VN 042-045/2022 National ICT Officer (JAVA Applications Development) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
IOM welcomes applicants from qualified individuals, irrespective of their race, religion, skin, color, nationality, age, disability status, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family structure, mental health status, or any other characteristic.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.