Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Resource Management Officer and direct supervision of the Sr. HR Assistant, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for managing the resources management functions in the IOM Philippines Country Office.
- Support recruitment processes in the office by coordinating the publication of Vacancy Notice/Special Vacancy Notice, receiving, and sorting applications, arranging interviews and tests, preparing all the required documentation and materials, sending communications to candidates, contacting previous employers for reference checks and any other related activity as assigned.
- Carry-out pre-employment activities such as preparation of Entry On Duty (EOD) documentation and collection of supporting documentation, coordination of EOD medical exams, follow-up with Health Insurance Medical Services (Manila or Panama) on medical clearances, coordination of orientation sessions, arrangement for security briefing and medical examinations, inclusion in insurance plans as appropriate, creation of personal file, etc.
- Perform assigned role(s) in PRISM HR paying special attention to data consistency and accuracy; input and maintain data based on approvals and supporting documentation; monitor and follow up on contractual situation and entitlements and generate reports, contract extensions, personnel actions, and other related documentation.
- Support separation, classification, reclassification and promotion processes by collecting necessary documentation, drafting forms, making basic calculations, obtaining approvals and coordinating with relevant units in the Regional Office and Administrative Centers.
- Update and maintain electronic and physical archiving systems in the unit including personnel files with all supporting documentation, recruitment files, Human Resources policies, regulations, guidelines and manuals, internal controls, etc.
- Ensure personnel files are complete, filed, and up-to-date.
- Maintain and track e-filing of personnel file in PRISM – HR.
- Draft certificates of employment, notices, letters, reports, presentations, graphs, update the organizational chart and support timely submission of documents.
- Support the organization of meetings, training activities and other Human Resources events by carrying out logistical activities such as arrangement of meeting facilities, equipment, materials, preparation of correspondence and drafting and assembling of documents.
- Respond to general inquiries regarding Human Resources policies, instructions, and procedures.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- High School diploma with four years of relevant experience; or,
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Psychology, or related field with two years of relevant professional experience.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, E-mail, Outlook; previous experience in SAP is a distinct advantage;
- Attention to detail, ability to organize paperwork in a methodical way;
- Discreet, details and clients-oriented, patient and willingness to learn new things; and,
- Prior work experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-government or government institutions/organization in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
- Human Resources Management and personnel administration skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Exceptional administrative expertise is a huge benefit.
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is desirable.
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
- Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
- Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
- Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
- Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
- Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
- Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a cover letter (not more than one page) and résumé highlighting the required education and experience or a duly completed IOM Personal History Form. To access the form, please click this link (four pages).
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 14 January 2022. Position title and VN Number (VN 040 2021 – Human Resources Assistant) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
The position involves onsite and/or offsite work (or a combination of both). The working modality will be further discussed during the interviews if candidate is available to work on-site and/or offsite.