Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Payroll Manager and the direct supervision of the National Payroll Officer, the successful candidate will support the unit in the timely and accurate processing of the payroll for locally recruited staff worldwide.
- Check the accuracy and validity of input calculations/coding to ensure that such entries are in line with staff and financial rules and/or other administrative issuance.
- Input payments and deductions received from offices into the system based on official documentation, including approved terminal emoluments.
- Assist in the validation of changes in salary scales, allowances and other payroll master data.
- Input and verify banking details for new staff and subsequent changes therein in the ERP payroll module.
- Follow-up with offices for any necessary adjustments, corrections, other appropriate action in time for the next payroll run.
- Provide relevant payroll reports to missions.
- Liaise with focal points for any payroll-related matters.
- Update projectization percentages sent by Offices, if and when required. Reconcile with relevant unit/s the projectization discrepancies to ensure staff costs are correctly charged to projects.
- Update statistical reports and queries; check electronic data output and take corrective measures in case errors are identified. These involve payroll reports, earnings and deduction registers, pay slips, and payment details.
- Reconcile accounts monthly or periodically by monitoring and clearing open items related to staff members entitlements, follow up with the staff members to ensure prompt recovery of any amounts due to the organisations.
- Work closely with colleagues in the unit to promptly address queries, concerns, and issues related to staff salary.
- Run and verify reports, prepare calculations, make/amend data entries, propose actions and changes to supervisor as required.
- Stay abreast of changes in human resources policies as they relate to benefits and allowances.
- Takes action from planned, unexpected or exceptional changes in relevant policies which alter the usual business processes.
- Ensure proper electronic filing.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Completed university degree in Finance, Accounting or a related field from an accredited academic institution with 3 years of relevant work experience; or
- High-school diploma with 5 years of relevant work experience.
- Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) an advantage.
- Experience in direct payroll functions, preferably in a corporate payroll operation with knowledge of banking and accounting systems, generally accepted accounting principles, business risk controls;
- Experience with SAP HR and payroll system and applications, an advantage.
- Thorough working knowledge of payroll systems and procedures, salary calculations and accounting made through payroll systems;
- IT-ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) Functional Knowledge an advantage;
- High level of computer literacy.
For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is desirable.
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
- Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
- Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
- Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
- Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
- Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
- Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
Interested applicants may send their applications to email@example.com no later than 22 March 2023. VN Number and Position Title (VN 038-045/2023 – Payroll Administrator) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
IOM welcomes applicants from qualified individuals, irrespective of their race, religion, skin, color, nationality, age, disability status, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family structure, mental health status, or any other characteristic.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Kindly note that this position is subject to funding availability.