Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Accounting Supervisor and overall supervision of the RAS National Accounting Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for the review of Missions’ accounts including but not limited to: general accounting work, donor financial report review and endorsement, and month-end review to ensure compliance with IOM’s overall accounting regulations, rules, policies and procedures.
Project Financial Report Review and Endorsement
- Support the review of project financial reports to verify compliance with donor agreement (budget, interest, funding, etc.) and reports are reconciled with PRISM Financials prior to donor submission;
- Facilitate timely endorsement of project financial reports received to ensure that reporting deadlines and requirements by Donors are satisfied;
- Provide guidance and assistance to COs on financial reporting requirements to donors if necessary (e.g. application of rules, calculation of interest);
- Calculate interest and provide certification for interest earned whenever applicable;
- Coordinate with other departments (MFS sub units, ROs, ACO, International Development Fund, etc.) to ensure conformity with specific donor reporting requirements;
- Verify compliance with donor reporting checklist;
- Maintain statistics of donor financial reports received and endorsed.
Month-End Closing Procedures
- Assist Regional Accountants in the review of month end balances of Offices to remind RMO/finance staff on the completion of monthend procedures and coordinate exceptions noted;
- Monitor and assist in the clearance of suspense accounts and completeness of payroll posting;
- Provide guidance to COs on subjects related to closing of accounts and report issues and errors encountered by COs closure including coordination to relevant units;
- Facilitate COs request for extension of access and coordinate with Regional Accounting Supervisor;
Accounting Returns Validation
- Assist Regional Accountants in monitoring timely receipt and completeness of accounting returns;
- Assist with the review of monthly accounting returns of Offices to ensure compliance with established standards and coordinate exceptions noted with COs;
- Input cash and bank data in PRISM to ensure complete and timely information as regards to cash and bank reconciliation status of Offices.
- Travel to COs as may be required in the performance of assigned tasks;
- Provide assistance to PCST and PRISM Team on technical issues and enhancements in PRISM FI and HR;
- Perform other accounting functions as may be required.
- University degree in Finance or Accounting or a related field from an accredited academic institution with 2 years of relevant professional experience.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or equivalent is an advantage.
- Sound knowledge of accounting systems and/or SAP plus generally accepted accounting principles and internal controls.
- Experience in audit an advantage.
- Knowledge in accounting and financial reporting system of IOM is an advantage.
- Computer literacy including proficiency in MS Office applications.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is desirable.
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
- Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
- Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
- Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
- Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
- Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
- Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
Interested applicants may send their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 2 May 2023. VN Number and Position Title (VN 032/2023 – Accountant) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
IOM welcomes applicants from qualified individuals, irrespective of their race, religion, skin, color, nationality, age, disability status, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family structure, mental health status, or any other characteristic.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and an offer will be made following the confirmation of funding.