Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Sr. Resource Management Officer and the direct supervision of the Staff Travel Assistant, the successful candidate will provide assistance in accomplishing various tasks related to issuance and payment of air tickets and facilitation of visa application of IOM staff undertaking international and domestic official duty travel.
- Make arrangements for all domestic and international travels undertaken by staff members and from other Missions, consultants and other Non-IOM Staff (i.e. refugees, staff dependents).
- Provide visa assistance to outgoing and incoming official staff members by drafting Note Verbales and other related documents required for visa applications.
- Liaise with other IOM missions on travel-related issues.
- Assist in the booking and request ticket issuance using IOM Global Fare arrangement whenever applicable.
- Obtain fare approval and appropriate project codes assigned.
- Assist the Staff Travel Assistant in preparing travel authorization for all staff members and consultants on official duty travel and ensure required signatures in the form are completed.
- Assist in coordinating the issuance of tickets with the travel agency and airline.
- Draft request letter for Travel Tax Exemption Certificate.
- Facilitate the verification of ticket invoice; create Ticket Order Record (TOR) in Integrated Global Airline Ticket Order Record (IGator) for all requested tickets for payment in PRISM Financials.
- Update Ticket status for created TORs to generate Goods Receipt/ Purchase Order records in the Processes Resources Integrated Systems Management (PRISM)/SAP.
- Provide assistance in booking hotel accommodation for incoming officials /staff members on duty travel.
- Review and check accuracy of iGator entries against PRISM prior to preparation of RFP.
- Assist in preparing requests for payments (RFP) for visa fees, airline rebooking fees, tickets purchased from the travel agency and hotel invoices and ensure proper documentations and approvals.
- Liaise all travel-related payments and subsequent adjustments to the Purchase Order line item in PRISM with Accounts Payable unit.
- Assist the Staff Travel Assistant in requesting and monitoring refunds for all unused tickets.
- Consult with the Staff Travel Assistant on staff queries and concerns regarding staff travel policies and assist in sending communicating resolutions to staff members promptly.
- Liaise with foreign embassies/consulates to expedite visa application processing of IOM and non-IOM applicants.
- Perform other functions as may be required.
- University degree in Tourism or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with one year of relevant professional experience in the travel industry; or
- Completed High School Degree from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience.
- Work experience gained in airlines or travel agencies;
- Experience in any multicultural organization and or UN system an advantage.
- Working knowledge of the Amadeus computer reservation system;
- High level of computer literacy;
- High level of customer service orientation gained from working in the travel industry.
For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is desirable.
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
- Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
- Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
- Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
- Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
- Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
- Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
Interested applicants may send their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 15 March 2023. VN Number and Position Title (VN 031/2023 – Jr. Staff Travel Assistant) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
IOM welcomes applicants from qualified individuals, irrespective of their race, religion, skin, color, nationality, age, disability status, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family structure, mental health status, or any other characteristic.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and an offer will be made following the confirmation of funding.