Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the direct supervision of the Sr. Financial Analyst, the Sr. Administrative and Finance Assistant will be responsible and accountable for carrying out health programme monitoring, and administrative-finance (PAF) functions of the Global Migration Health Division (MHD) unit based at the Manila (Global) Administrative Center (MAC).
Financial monitoring and reporting
- Produce and enhance monthly,quarterly, and annual financial monitoring reports using established templates for large global migration health assessment programmes, specifically the Interim Federal Health Programme(IFHP)’s Predeparture Medical Services for Canada bound refugees and also provides support to other health projects managed by MHD HQ including MAC Global Health Assessment Projects (GHAPs),Departure Health checks Australian government-funded refugees project, US Centre for Disease Control and Prevention(CDC) Cooperative agreement projects, IOM Tele-radiology Programme, ,Pilot vaccination and Presumptive Treatment for US-bound refugees Project. .
- Conduct and provide preliminary financial performance analysis and transaction review on both revenue and expenses on a monthly and quarterly basis and ensure that country offices are informed of the findings and necessary actions has been undertaken. Keep email threads as support during audit investigations.
- Maintain and update a record of the historical and current financial and caseload trend of the programme; Identify potential problem, and propose corrective measures and reporting enhancements, when necessary.
- Assist in the preparation financial of reports and presentation materials for submission to the Project Manager (PM) and/or IOM Ottawa or IRCC.
Budget Preparation and Evaluation
- Conduct reviews and analyses of new and supplemental/revised budget requests submitted by IOM missions. Communicate the findings and recommendations and follow up with field offices until action has been taken.
- Consolidate budget requests by collating and encoding data into the established templates.
- Assist in the preparation and review of Budgeting for New Projects (BNP) based on approved budget prior to upload.
- Follow up with offices on the submission of missing budget packages.
Other admin-finance support tasks
- Perform monthly review and billing of invoices, evaluate thoroughly its supporting documents, and scrutinize the eligibility and completeness, and process of the medical claim information.
- Prepare, monitor, and maintain Accounts Receivable Aging and Payment Summary Report and reconcile IOM claims and medical cases reimbursed by the donor to be able to identify unpaid and rejected claims for coordination.
- Assist in the project activation procedures and financial closing of global migration health projects.
- Assist in the development and enhancement of templates, automating management view reports through dashboards, spending review, Budget Submission Package (BSP) analysis, and financial performance indicator generation.
- Assist in the Update standard operating procedures (SOP), work instruction manuals, and other initiatives within the assigned work areas.
- Organize and manage the filing system of the PAF working documents and reports including the maintenance and management of medical claim files.
- Assist in responding to internal and external audit queries and investigations, such as supplying the necessary supporting documents, and implement audit recommendations on budget preparation and evaluation as well as financial monitoring and reporting.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly salary projectization of MHD GSCS staff in MAC and HQ.
- Serves as Team Lead in the absence of the supervisor.
- Provide training support on administrative and financial issues within the assigned work areas.
- Support ICT and MHI in designing controls to eliminate Quality Control issues in invoicing and revenue accounting, by timely providing the relevant data to justify changes.
- Provide recommendations on how to further improve current processes so as to align with IOM policies and procedures.
- Coordinate with Treasury on payment received and with Revenue on accruals of revenue, clearing of accounts receivable and adjustment entries.
- Perform other related duties that may be assigned.
- University degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience in the field of accounting, finance, budgeting or auditing; or
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or equivalent is an advantage.
- Experience in handling accounting systems (e.g., SAP, Oracle, etc.), financial management, budgeting, financial planning and cost analysis, internal controls and audit/review procedures;
- High level of computer literacy, especially in MS Excel and PowerPoint applications; knowledge of other IT packages and their implementation an advantage;
- Good analytical and problem solving skills with an eye for details;
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Experience in invoicing and medical insurance claims processing is an added advantage.
For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is desirable.
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
- Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
- Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
- Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
- Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
- Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
- Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
Interested applicants may send their applications to email@example.com no later than 6 March 2023. VN Number and Position Title (VN 026/2023 – Sr. Administrative and Finance Assistant) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
IOM welcomes applicants from qualified individuals, irrespective of their race, religion, skin, color, nationality, age, disability status, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family structure, mental health status, or any other characteristic.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and an offer will be made following the confirmation of funding.