Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall guidance of the Director of the Migration Health Division, the various units of the Health Assessment Programme Global Support Unit provide services to all missions and medical field operations worldwide. The Migration Health Informatics (MHI) unit is responsible for operational medical software applications, data repositories and statistical reporting.
Under the direct supervision of the Migration Health Data Analyst and in close coordination with the Migration Health Informatics Manager and Migration Health Informatics Officer, the Medical Data Validation Assistant is responsible for closely monitoring data validation processes of field missions. The position will play a major role in first level data validation system user support to field operations and communications with missions related to MHI data validation and reporting obligations. The successful candidate will also assist in developing and maintaining the data validation documentation system, training of the field staff, and participate in the continuous development of validation systems for health assessment data from Mimosa, UKTB, LIMS, IMS, ICD, HAP and any new migration health informatics initiatives.
- Closely coordinate and follow-up data validation activities and requirements to field operations and missions.
- Be the first line of communication with data focal points in field operations and missions.
- Assist in monitoring, documentation and implementation of activities related to provision of health informatics data validation systems and support as needed by field missions.
- Provide technical assistance remotely to field missions worldwide in verifying and addressing medical data validation concerns.
- Support MHI in generation and submission of periodic operational and statistical reports.
- Work closely with the MHI Health Data Analyst in monitoring compliance of field operations and missions to data validation processes and data quality standards.
- Identify recurrent validation systems user support issues and learning gaps with the objective of improving users’ knowledge and skills.
- Assist in other health informatics support-related activities (e.g., trainings and workshops).
- Any other duties as assigned by supervisors.
- Completed university degree in health and social sciences, statistics, engineering and other areas dealing with data and analytics from an accredited academic institution.
- A minimum of Bachelor’s degree and three (3) years of relevant professional experience is required.
- Training on medical informatics, public health or health data analytics, or at least one (1) year experience in medical data management will be an advantage.
- Actual experience in data handling.
- Demonstrated understanding of data quality management.
- Experience with data interpretation is an advantage.
- Can work in rotating shift, if required.
- Analytical skills required.
- Specialized understanding of medical, public health and statistical terminology as well as IT disciplines and ability to correctly bridge health and information technology to address the changing information management needs of medical units is an
- Exceptional time management and attention to details.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives, managers, medical and IT professionals and subject matter experts.
For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is desirable.
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
- Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
- Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
- Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
- Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
- Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
- Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
Interested applicants may send their applications to email@example.com no later than 7 February 2023. VN Number and Position Title (VN 012/2023 – Medical Data Validation Assistant) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
IOM welcomes applicants from qualified individuals, irrespective of their race, religion, skin, color, nationality, age, disability status, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family structure, mental health status, or any other characteristic.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and an offer will be made following the confirmation of funding.