Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub-Office (HoSO) in Cotabato and direct supervision of the Programme Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for project implementation and management of resources related to the transition and recovery programming in Mindanao, the project “Promoting conflict prevention, social cohesion and community resilience in BARMM in the time of COVID-19 through transformation of women ex-combatants, marginalized women and youth into agents of peace” in particular in the provinces of Maguindanao, North Cotabato and Lanao del Sur.
- Coordinate the implementation of the aforementioned transition and recovery project activities, as guided by the Head of Sub-Office, to ensure the completion of assigned project.
- Monitor implementation progress identify and document significant events, problems or deviations and recommend appropriate actions solutions to the Head of Sub-Office.
- Ensure proper documentation of operational activities for future reporting, programmatic promotions, visibility, audits and other requirements. Prepare regular reports for the Head of Sub-Office on achievements, problems encountered, pertinent developments, and strategic needs for assigned projects.
- Supervise, train and provide support to project assistants and field staff in implementing, monitoring, and documenting activities.
- In close coordination with the Resource Management Unit, monitor the project’s expenditures and support the documentation process.
- Ensure that the day-to-day implementation and supervision of the project activities are in accordance with the work plan, project document, and IOM rules, regulations, policies, and guidelines.
- Liaise with relevant humanitarian and development actors, government authorities and other stakeholders operating in the area to ensure that project activities are adequately coordinated and aligned with the local context.
- Coordinate regularly with the Programme Support Unit, including Information Management, M&E and Reporting, to ensure project information and data are regularly updated and shared with relevant stakeholders and to ensure projects are being implemented in line with work plan, logframe, M&E plan and other IOM, donor and government regulations.
- Participate and represent IOM in meetings with government as deemed necessary by the Head of Sub-Office.
- Undertake duty travels in support of the programme.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Master’s degree in Social Science, Political Science, International Development, Peace and Conflict Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution; or
- University degree in the above fields with minimum two years of relevant professional experience.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
- Extensive experience in Transition and Recovery programming, such as Prevention of Violent Extremism, Institutional/Community Capacity Building, Social Cohesion, Peacebuilding, Community Stabilization, a distinctive asset.
- Experience in management of humanitarian or development operations and/or Government Social Services.
- Familiarity with the context of BARMM, especially the Provinces of Lanao del Sur, North Cotabato and Maguindanao, including SPMS Box, an advantage.
- Experience in liaising with senior government counterparts, including BARMM Ministries.
- Experience in project design, operations management and field implementation.
- Familiarity with IOM administrative and financial management, an advantage.
- Strong remote management, coordination and liaison skills required.
- Familiarity with financial and business administration an advantage
- Solid IT skills and computer literacy
- Strong knowledge and understanding of Mindanao context are a distinct advantage.
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English and Filipino is required. Working knowledge of any BARMM language is desirable.
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Demonstrates individual responsibility for defining and delivering on the Organization’s priorities.
- Delegates authority to match responsibilities, and holds staff accountable for agreed-upon commitments.
- Consistently assumes responsibility for Divisional or Departmental actions by explaining successes, failures, and proposing remedial actions.
- Invests significant time in creating a culture of accountability and responsibility by using experience and advice to guide others.
- Clearly and simply communicates the IOM mandate and seeks opportunities to represent the organization externally to promote its mandate.
- Communicates confidently, commands attention and respect when speaking, and projects credibility.
- Influences others and negotiates effectively through a persuasive, flexible approach.
- Keeps staff informed of decisions and directives of senior management and communicates them in a manner that ensures understanding and acceptance.
- Promotes the development and use of organization-wide knowledge sharing systems that capture all relevant information from sources inside and outside of the Organization.
- Leads in defining and prioritizing the Organization’s knowledge needs.
- Establishes and fosters a culture that encourages change, innovation and continuous learning.
- Encourages and supports others to be innovative and actively generates new perspectives on own and team’s work.
- Advocates for collaboration across the Organization and creates collaborative systems and integrated processes to achieve Organizational goals.
- Builds consensus for task purpose and direction with colleagues at all levels.
- Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of partnerships and takes action to enhance their effectiveness.
- Identifies and breaks down barriers to cooperation within teams, and between teams, units, sections, divisions, and organizations.
- Challenges self and team to deliver high quality results, in line with Organizational goals.
- Leads and facilitates work planning, alerting those involved of potential obstacles and helping to identify suitable alternative options as needed.
- Persuades management to undertake new projects and services that benefit internal and external clients; uses performance standards to monitor projects.
- Tailors organizational targets to meet changing demands in the external environment.
- Proactively develops strategies to accomplish objectives and empowers others to translate vision into results.
- Provides clear vision, direction and purpose and charts a clear course to achievement.
- Does not accept the status quo; drives for improvement and change, inspiring others to embrace it.
- Builds positive influence across the wider organization and strategic relationships with external stakeholders.
- Encourages individuals to take initiatives and responsibility for putting new ideas/activities into practice and making them work.
- Supports teams to succeed, devoting dedicated time to empowering people through coaching and mentoring and sharing expertise/knowledge.
- Inspires enthusiasm and a positive attitude in people towards their work and contribution to the Organization’s success.
- Promotes autonomy and empowerment throughout the Organization.
- Always works with an orientation to the future, encouraging others to consider the Organization’s medium and long-term strategy when setting departmental objectives.
- Steps back from operational issues to focus on a long-term direction for the area of responsibility.
- Identifies strategic issues and risks that may impede the delivery of the Organization’s strategic objectives and addresses concerns in a timely manner to gain buy-in from stakeholders.
- Generates and communicates broad and compelling organizational direction inspiring others to pursue that same direction.
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a cover letter (not more than one page), a résumé highlighting the required education and experience, and a duly completed IOM Personal History Form. To access the form, please visit this link (four pages).
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 21 January 2022. Position title and SVN Number (SVN 013 2021 – National Project Officer (EXTENSION)) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
This position should be filled only by candidates who are a national (Filipino Nationals Only) at the country of the duty station.
The position involves onsite and/or offsite work (or a combination of both). The working modality will be further discussed during the interviews if candidate is available to work on-site and/or offsite.