Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the general supervision of the National Central Accounting Officer and the direct supervision of the General Accounting Supervisor, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable primarily in recording, monitoring and preparing financial management report related to Revenue and Accounts Receivable.
Recording of Revenue, Accounts Receivable and Other Transactions
- Facilitate and analyze revenue accrual and accounts receivable (AR) setup for:
- submitted payment request and invoice to the donors
- projects with funding agreement due upon signature
- amounts due on PCA (Project Clearing Account) projects based on quarterly PDR (Project Delivery Report) upload
- Member States’ assessed contributions
- Facilitate and analyze received funds for:
- projects under US Government Payment Management System (PMS-drawdowns)
- projects with no issued payment request or invoice
- partial receipts of accrued revenue
- Monitor timely clearing of Down Payment from Customers and unallocated receipts. Follow-up Offices on the project code and/or coordinate with Project ID and PIU (Project Information Unit) on a timely basis.
- Facilitate and analyze request on following; and record adjustment appropriately:
- return of excess funds and interest
- project fund transfers
- adjustment to receivables
- general ledger adjustment for foreign currency differences and bank charges
- other bookings for sale of publication and project opening balance
- Respond to queries and investigate issues raised by Offices, HQ and other departments/units including but not limited to:
- revenue policies and procedures
- accounts receivable and revenue balances
- revenue entries
- Employ internal controls relating to propriety of revenue, receivables and other related accounts. Recommend/adopt improvements as needed.
- Manage and monitor the Revenue mailbox and FinCoorP CAS-Revenue tickets for payment request / invoice issued to donors, incoming funds, and other requests from HQ and Offices worldwide
Monitoring of Accounts Receivable
- Generate monthly AR aging report and prepare AR follow-up monitoring sheet.
- Coordinate and follow up with Project Managers and Finance contacts on long outstanding AR and update status in the monitoring sheet.
- Investigate any high risks receivables relating to deficit and ineligible costs and coordinate with Finance and Accounting Division (FAD).
- Monitor and clear all the customer accounts on a timely basis.
- Assist in FMR and other reports preparation.
- Support during audits (internal and external) on preparation of schedules and help resolve queries on revenue and accounts receivable areas.
- Prepare the business specifications/requirements; and perform testing procedures during development stage for automation of financial reports and procedures in PRISM in view of streamlining the business process related to revenue and accounts receivables.
- Making recommendations to FAD, Regional Accounting Support and / or Regional and Country Offices on both procedural and policy improvements and efficiencies in accounting and finance area with a view of strengthening internal controls to protect the Organization’s assets and reduce the risk of fraud and mismanagement.
- Provide accounting support to Pension Administration team with the monthly upload of UNJSPF accounts
- Assist in review and reconciliation for UNJSPF Year-end audit
- Conduct mid-month and month-end bank reconciliations of HQ bank accounts to ensure that bank ledger balance agrees with bank balances. Coordinate reconciling items to Manila and Geneva Treasury and ensures validity of deposit in transits and outstanding disbursements reported for the month.
- Perform other accounting functions as may be required.
- University degree in Finance, Accounting or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience in Accounting or Finance; or
- Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Must be a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or its equivalent.
- Experience in the field of Finance and Accounting
- Sound knowledge of accounting system and/or SAP plus generally accepted accounting principles and internal controls;
- Computer literacy including proficiency in MS Office applications;
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Experience in audit an advantage.
For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is desirable.
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
- Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
- Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
- Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
- Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
- Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
- Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
Interested applicants may send their applications to email@example.com no later than 5 April 2023. VN Number and Position Title (DR 066/2022 – Accountant (Revenue)) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
IOM welcomes applicants from qualified individuals, irrespective of their race, religion, skin, color, nationality, age, disability status, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family structure, mental health status, or any other characteristic.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and an offer will be made following the confirmation of funding.