Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the general supervision of the National Central Accounting Officer and direct supervision of the Financial Reporting Supervisor, the successful candidate will be mainly responsible for fixed asset accounting, which includes but is not limited, to the following key roles.
- Review asset disposal requests, justification and documentation received from offices for approval by the Financial Reporting Supervisor and advise offices as to the correct retirement type option to be used; and any retirement of fixed assets should be taken up in the accounts.
- Review asset transfer requests and documentation received from offices for approval by the Financial Reporting Supervisor.
- Review and follow up to offices the list of assets approved for retirement that still exists on the asset register and the list of assets that were retired and transferred without proper approval and authorization.
- Make recommendations and improvement initiatives for an efficient and effective fixed asset accounting workflow programme as established.
- Review and monitoring of annual asset stocktake submissions from offices to ensure that assets exist, owned by IOM, and duly accounted for.
- Ensure that offices reconcile their annual physical inventory with the asset register; and update the records in PRISM. Any discrepancies should be explained by offices and properly accounted in PRISM system; and
- Ensure Chief of Missions sign off the certificate of physical count and the correctness of the asset register in PRISM system.
- Provide statistics, reports, and status on the progress of the annual stocktake. Facilitate the necessary escalation procedure.
- Recommend changes and improvements to the assets management policy and procedures as necessary, consistent with IPSAS, to ensure that the necessary internal controls are in place to safeguard IOM assets worldwide.
- Liaise with the PRISM team with respect to any required system changes to meet the needs of the organization.
- Update the work instructions manual relevant to the tasks assigned, subject to review of the supervisor.
- Manage CAS-Assets Management mailbox and the ticketing tool Financial Coordination Platform (FinCoorP) for inquiries or requests related to assets.
- Provide assistance to the other task of the team, as needed.
- Provide advice or assistance to office on IOM's asset accounting guidelines (FMRP), assist in resolving some asset-related technical issues, assist with the approved requests for asset upload, etc.
- Provide requested internal reports, statistics and analysis which are within the scope of work responsibilities.
- Support during audits (internal and external) on preparation of schedules and help resolve queries on required information.
- Assist in preparing the business specifications/requirements; and perform testing procedures during development stage for automation and enhancement of financial reports and procedures in PRISM in view of streamlining the business process related to asset accounting module and other accounting requirements.
- Making recommendations to FAD, Regional Accounting Support and / or Regional and Country Offices on both procedural and policy improvements and efficiencies in accounting and finance area with a view of strengthening internal controls to protect the Organization’s assets and reduce the risk of fraud and mismanagement.
- Maintain secure and organized filing system specifically for confidential files.
- Perform other administrative and accounting functions as may be required.
- Completed university degree in Finance, Accounting, or relevant field from an accredited academic institution; Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or equivalent is an advantage
- Minimum two years of relevant work experience in the field of accounting, finance, budgeting, audit experience an advantage.
- Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards or International Financial Reporting Standards
- Sound knowledge of accounting systems and/or SAP or Oracle (particularly on Asset and FI modules) plus generally accepted accounting principles, business risk controls, and audit/review procedures
- Computer literacy including proficiency in MS Office applications; knowledge of other IT packages and their implementation is an advantage;
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is desirable.
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
- Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
- Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
- Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
- Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
- Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
- Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
Interested applicants may send their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 2 February 2022. VN Number and Position Title (DR 064/2022 – Accountant) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
IOM welcomes applicants from qualified individuals, irrespective of their race, religion, skin, color, nationality, age, disability status, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family structure, mental health status, or any other characteristic.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and an offer will be made following the confirmation of funding.