Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Accounting Supervisor and overall supervision of the RAS National Accounting Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible to provide support on the review of Office accounts as may be assigned to ensure compliance with IOM’s overall accounting regulations, rules, policies and procedures.
General Accounting Work
- Provide support and guidance to assigned Country Offices (CO) on accounting, financial and project matters (e.g. compliance with Financial Management Rules and Procedures (FMRP), Project Development Handbook – Module 5, IPSAS and PRISM Financials, etc.);
- Assist in making recommendations to MAC Financial Services, Finance and Accounting Division (FAD), Regional Offices and/or Resource Management Officer (RMO)/Chief of Mission (COM) on both procedural and policy improvements and efficiencies in accounting/finance area;
- Escalate critical findings and provide status to RAS Supervisor or RAS Unit Head, FAD or Regional Office (RO), as applicable;
- Perform evaluation of Office performance as part of yearly Risk assessment;
- Assess annually the performance of Offices and the related risk factors to determine the financial risk assessment of COs;
- Assist with External and Internal audit requirements.
Accounts Checklist Review
- Review and analyze the trial balance of assigned COs (i.e. bank/cash books, vendor accounts, purchase orders, assets, VAT, suspense accounts, etc.) to ensure that accounts comply with IOM’s established policies and procedures;
- Evaluate/identify exceptions, deviations, errors and critical issues noted during the review, summarize and communicate findings to relevant Finance, RMO and CoM;
- Recommend corrective actions and improvements to be taken in line with IOM policies and procedures to relevant Finance, RMO and CoM;
- Ensure that checklist reviews are performed based on the annual plan and that minimum requirements for the number of reviews are met and timely coordinated.
Month-End Closing Procedures
- Monitor and assist in the clearance of suspense accounts and completeness of payroll posting;
- Provide guidance to COs on subjects related to closing of accounts and analyze issues and errors encountered;
- Facilitate COs requests for extension of access and coordinate with Regional Accounting Supervisor.
Accounting Returns Validation
- Monitor timely receipt and completeness of monthend documents;
- Check monthend documents of assigned COs to ensure compliance with established standards and coordinate exceptions noted;
- Input cash and bank data in PRISM to ensure complete and timely information as regards to cash and bank reconciliation status of Offices.
- Provide trainings as may be required;
- Travel to COs as may be required in the performance of assigned tasks;
- Perform other accounting functions as may be required.
- University degree in Finance or Accounting or a related field from an accredited academic institution with 2 years of relevant professional experience;
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or equivalent is an advantage.
- Sound knowledge of accounting systems and/or SAP;
- Experience in audit an advantage;
- Computer literacy including proficiency in MS Office applications;
- Knowledge in internal controls and accounting principles;
- Knowledge in accounting and financial reporting system of IOM is an advantage;
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is desirable.
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
- Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
- Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
- Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
- Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
- Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
- Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
Interested applicants may send their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 2 February 2023. Reference code and Position Title (DR 048/2022 – Accountant) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
IOM welcomes applicants from qualified individuals, irrespective of their race, religion, skin, color, nationality, age, disability status, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family structure, mental health status, or any other characteristic.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.