Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
The consultant will report to the Chief Migration Health Officer in the IOM Philippines Country Office. The consultant will be required to work independently with minimal supervision; however, specific guidance from the project team in the IOM Country Office must be followed.
Nature of Consultancy: The purpose of the consultancy is to develop Bill of Quantities (BOQ), make drawing and supervise construction of Migration Health Assessment Center (MHAC) additional Office space (Category B Consultancy)
IOM Project to which the Consultancy is contributing: Migration Health Department (MH-PH10) / Manila Health Center-Manila, Philippines
Project Context and Scope:
- Provide structural designs, drawings, bill of quantities, material schedule for the construction of MHAC Pre fab to be used for health assessment as per DOH guideline;
- Develop RFQ documents, support the process for the execution of the construction works;
- Conduct weekly monitoring visits to assess progress of work and compliance with drawings and recommendations as well as identify and propose corrective actions if required;
- Provide weekly progress reports to the Chief Migration Health Officer with regards to progress, contractor compliance and adherence to contract specifications by contractor;
- Review contractor’s progress reports as a basis to measure progress and compliance to design specifications and standards (sanitation and safety) and for payment issuance;
- Identify gaps and opportunities for further programming.
Realistic Delivery Dates and Details as to how the work must be delivered
Category B Consultant hired to deliver an output on a four-instalment payment basis:
- First Deliverable - Make drawings and develop and evaluation of BOQ - 15 April 2023 (First instalment of payment: 15%)
- Second Deliverable - Development of RFQ documents, selection of contractor –1 May 2023 (Second instalment of payment: 25%)
- Third Deliverable - Work supervisions and progress reports – 1 June 2023 (Third instalment of payment: 25%)
- Final Deliverable - Job completion certificate and submit final report – 30 September 2023 (Final instalment of payment: 35%)
Performance indicators for evaluation results
- Detailed work plan validated by the IOM Chief Migration Health Officer.
- Assessment, progress and final reports, including the elements described under the “Objectives” section above.
- University degree in civil engineering or other related field;
- Proven experience in executing civil construction projects;
- Minimum of 5 years relevant working experience;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to make decisions independently and strong problem resolutions skill.
For this position, fluency in English and Filipino (oral and written) is required.
Knowledge of a second official UN language is desirable.
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments to others and to the Organization.
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and apply lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and sequence of ideas that is easy for recipients to understand.
- Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
- Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on received information.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
- Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the experiences of others.
- Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and inspiration.
- Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in implementing them.
- Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels.
- Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities.
- Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a "hands-on" approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
- Produces quality results and provides quality services to clients.
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making adjustments as necessary.
- Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected results.
Interested applicants are invited to submit the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org by 27 March 2023 indicating in the subject of the mail “CON 2023 004 - Construction of Migration Health Assessment Center (MHAC)”.
The submission should include:
- Curriculum Vitae
- A cover letter (not more than one page)
- IOM Personal History Form. To access the form, please visit link.
- References - names and contacts of three to five referees from the current and/or previous direct supervisors using the sequence below:
- Relationship (Current or Previous direct Supervisor)
- Contact number/s
- E-mail address
- A detailed workplan
- An all-inclusive financial proposal outlining the consultancy fee
- Summary (including pictures) of previous projects and
- Reference of similar or related work done in the past
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The consultant must adhere to the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Data Protection Principles (IN/138) and maintain confidentiality.
The consultant will be responsible to follow IOM writing guidelines and latest glossaries in all given assignments for accurate translation.
IOM is an intergovernmental organization, and as such is exempted of all taxes in the Philippines. Therefore, it is not obligated to retain any taxes that should be owed to the Government of the Philippines as part of the execution of this contract. It is the sole responsibility of the contractor to comply with any fiscal obligations that might be applicable.
The ownership of intellectual products developed during this project will be shared with the government entities partaking in its creation, as well as IOM’s regional office. Government agencies and the cooperating agency must be warranted visibility and recognition, through the use of their logos in every document and any other material that might be a result of these intellectual production. Applications received later or that do not specify the name of the call will not be considered.