Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Legal Counsel and the Division Head, Contract Law Division, Office of Legal Affairs (LEGCR), and under the direct supervision of the Unit Head, Manila Unit and in coordination with other colleagues in the Office of Legal Affairs, the successful candidate will be responsible for giving legal advice on various contractual issues as well as negotiating, drafting and reviewing contracts, agreements and Memorandum of Understanding.
Review contracts and agreements necessary for the development and implementation of IOM projects.
Provide legal advice on the terminating agreements and contracts and on the contractual disputes.
Assist the LEG Contract Division in improving existing templates.
Perform other duties and responsibilities as required.
- Completed bachelor’s degree in Law from an accredited academic institution, with two years relevant professional experience;
- Certification or certificate of passing the bar examination.
- Excellent knowledge in all matters of law related to the field of work, which can range from corporate companies to non-government organizations;
- Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders and agency rules;
Experience in reviewing legal documents, papers or speeches and developed research skills and knowledge of migration issues an advantage;
- Desirable experience in international trade, project financing agreements, IT contract drafting and commercial disputes.
- Excellent analytical and decision-making skills;
Excellent negotiation and communication skills.
English, French, and Spanish are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is desirable.
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication.
Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
Produces and delivers quality results in a service- oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a cover letter (not more than one page) and résumé highlighting the required education and experience or a duly completed IOM Personal History Form. To access the form, please visit https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/vacancy/MAC/iom-personal-history-form1.xlsx
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 24 January 2022. Reference code CON 001/2022 - Contract Law Division Consultant should be specified in the SUBJECT field.